Extreme Dreams: Wildest Africa and the Mountains of the Moon
When to Go
Venturing beyond well-trodden trails and tourist-saturated safaris, we’ll witness the unfathomably beautiful and raw corners of this unique part of the world…starting with the Mountains of the Moon (a.k.a. the Rwenzori Mountains). Nestled between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, this legendary range lives at the source of the Nile. Its highest peak, Mt Stanley (5109m) is the third highest in Africa. Its challenging ascent has fascinated us for more than a decade.
The journey up Mt Stanley will be a serious mission for our crew, with seven days of hard trekking through untamed rainforest and alpine highlands before crossing some of the last remaining glaciers on the equator. We look forward to preparing and pushing my fellow Extreme Dreamers to ensure we all reach the summit and experience a journey we’ll never forget.
No African expedition is complete without a safari and some ‘Big 5’ action. Of course, we’ll do things a little differently. By day, we’ll wander amongst the mighty beasts of the Serengeti, with nothing more than our wits, our feet, a rifle and an expert guide to keep us on the right side of adventure. By night, we’ll sleep under canvas and a star-studded sky, as the magic symphony of African creatures reverberates through our campsite. This two-day walking safari will immerse us in nature in its purest and finest form and arrives at Kogatende Green Camp where we’ll spend our final two nights.
After our two epic missions, we relax at the only camp in the wilderness and rhino zone of the northern Serengeti for the ultimate African wildlife experience close to the Mara River, where huge herds of migrating wildebeest and zebra wait to cross the crocodile-infested waters. Once the sun has set, we’ll relax around the campfire with dinner served under the stars to unwind, reminisce and plan the next big adventure.
|DAY 1||ARRIVE ENTEBBE, UGANDA|
|DAY 2||START RWENZORI MOUNTAIN CLIMB|
|DAY 3||TREK TO MUTINDA CAMP, RWENZORI MOUNTAINS|
|DAY 4||TREK TO BUGATA CAMP, RWENZORI MOUNTAINS|
|DAY 5||TREK TO HUNWICK’S CAMP, RWENZORI MOUNTAINS|
|DAY 6||TREK TO MARGHERITA CAMP, RWENZORI MOUNTAINS|
|DAY 7||TREK TO HUNWICK’S CAMP, SUMMIT MT STANLEY (5109m)|
|DAY 8||TREK TO KIHARO CAMP, RWENZORI MOUNTAINS|
|DAY 9||ARRIVE MARGHERITA HOTEL, KASESE|
|DAY 10||START SERENGETI WALKING SAFARI|
|DAY 11||FULL DAY WALKING SAFARI TO KOGATENDE GREEN CAMP|
|DAY 12||DAY GAME VIEWING KOGATENDE GREEN CAMP|
|DAY 13||GAME DRIVE ENROUTE TO KOGATENDE AIRPORT, FLIGHT TO KILIMANJARO INT. AIRPORT|
You can opt to extend your trip by two extra nights with a visit to one of Africa’s most famous safari destinations, the Ngorongoro Crater. You’ll stay high about this magnificent safari utopia at the Sanctuary Ngorongoro Crater Camp in a private luxury tent. More details can be found here.
Cost: US$7990 / approx AU$11,570 per person (twin-share)*
* Payment plans are available for this expedition to spread the cost of this trip over a number of months. Please contacts us for more information.
Accomodation: All hotels for the 13 days / 12 nights listed in the itinerary. We will stay in a variety of accommodation ranging from cool mountain huts to boutique hotels, to tented safari camps.
- Return Aerolink flight Entebbe to Kasese
- Accommodation at the hotels
- Accommodation in mountain huts
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Airport transfers
- Park fees
- Technical Summit Equipment
- Chartered flight from Entebbe to Kogatende with Regional Air
- Road Transfers
- Accommodation and meals on safari
- National Park, Conservation Area and Village fees and Government fees (inc. Tourism Development Levies)
- 4WD safari vehicle
- Private English speaking guide
- Water bottle
- Drinking water, other beverages and charging facilities in the vehicle
- Flying medical insurance
- Ground support from head office
- Meet & Greet Service at JRO
- International Airfare (we can book these for you – approx AU$3000 per person. Airfares are subject to change until paid for in full)
- Travel Insurance. You MUST have travel insurance. Instructions will be provided after you register.
- Any meals or drinks not mentioned in the itinerary
- Items of a personal nature